Remote Switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pointless squabbling has been removed from this thread
Hello, I tried this in the automation section but didn't have much response. It doesn't seem too lively in there at the moment.

In my kitchen I have a run of units with undercabinet lighting fed from the lighting circuit with a dedicated switch on the wall. I also have a dresser unit which I intend to fit the same LED strip lighting to.

I have easy access to the feed cable into the transformer (or whatever you want to call it) for the under cabinet lights.

What I'd like to do is have the LED's on the dresser plugged into a wall socket via a 'smart' plug which triggers when the under cabinet lights are switched onl. I.e. they all come on at once. I was hoping there was something I could wire into the undercabinet feed which would act as a trigger that was received by a remote plug / socket interface - but I can't find such a thing.

Any ideas if there is something 'off the shelf' which I could use?

Sponsored Links
Would a standby saver intended to switch off computer peripherals when the PC is off do the job?

There are a few X10, hive, and I use Energenie Mihome. I can only say what MiHome does, the units have three timed on periods per day, and are programmed using a hub, not tested but think once programmed it does not need hub, there is a 7 day grid and you can select which of the 7 days the timer is active on. You can have up to three remote controls and the hub controlling any one switch, be it a light switch or socket, however it does not stop there, they use some thing call ITTT (If this than that) and can integrate with all sorts of other ITTT devices, the only limit is that an app has been written, not really something you could write your self, but there are hundreds of them, so you could program it so lights come on when a thunder storm is forecast for example, why you would want to is another question.

Look here for example since I am registered not sure what you will see with link?

Sponsored Links
With regards to the power saver suggestion, thats a good one that I hadn't considered at all - but the ones that seem most suited for my needs involve a remote control. What I'm trying to achieve is to use the existing light switch as the trigger for both the existing lights and the new. Its just more convenient than finding a remote control.

I'm aware there are a number of apps and what not that can do what I want, but I don't want to go down that road.

The solution that most satisfies my needs is indeed to get an electrician in to add some extra cable and supply a feed from the lighting circuit to the back of the dresser. If I was doing that I would most likely just hard wire it into the lights rather than via a socket. Pro's and cons to both I guess. The reason I'm not so keen on this approach is that it will involve a degree of upheaval. Since I have power already at the dresser I was hoping there was a reasonably 'simple' way to trigger that on or off.

I've had a look at the lightwave rf range, and it looks like I could replace the existing lightswitch with one of theirs which would in turn trigger a plug in or retrofit socket at the intended location. The only question I've got about this is they only seem to offer dimmer switches, and asfaik neither my main ceiling lights (double gang switch) or the undercabinet lights are dimmable.

You can buy easyswitch units that convert a light switch into an independant radio control to adaptors

That would allow you to switch on the remote 13a supply to the new LED's
And you'd need to supply the original lights somehow and fit another receiver.

Ideally you want a relay box that transmits an "on" signal when powered and "off " when power goes off.
That could be wired in to the original lights and a signal sent to a receiver that controlled the new lights

You can buy easyswitch units that convert a light switch into an independant radio control to adaptors

That would allow you to switch on the remote 13a supply to the new LED's
And you'd need to supply the original lights somehow and fit another receiver.

Ideally you want a relay box that transmits an "on" signal when powered and "off " when power goes off.
That could be wired in to the original lights and a signal sent to a receiver that controlled the new lights

Yes thats exactly what I want.

I will look into the easyswitch device, but to add further complication the light switch in question is a double gang unit which also works the ceiling lights

If you can (or have to) go with a wired solution, then you could have a socket controlled by the light switch, but on a socket circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back