Removal of brick wall in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy, usually on here reading for help but now I need something specific.

Just to state I have no intention of doing any work myself unless it's totally safe, I'm just after guidance whether it could be a DIY job or I really need professional work.

So, the house, semi-detached, once had a chimney which was removed, great, but in the loft there is a wall above the bedroom wall divide to which the loft was part of, but doesn't look fully part of.

There's a crawl hole we can use but it's not good, I'd lift to panel the whole loft.

There're 3 beams running the length of the house which looks to rest on the bricks a bit, but not very good.
The top roof beam, where it stops, is about 2 foot from the top of the wall.
At the top of the wall, the top beam rests on a brick, again, doesn't look like is needed.
The section of this wall that was a chimney doesn't look like part of the wall either.

Anyway, pictures say a thousand words, folder of images.

Google drive

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
It's a supporting wall. If removed, you'd need to put props or struts in its place.

Whether you can do that or not is down to you. But any alternative support needs to be properly designed and installed.

It's a supporting wall. If removed, you'd need to put props or struts in its place.

Whether you can do that or not is down to you. But any alternative support needs to be properly designed and installed.

It's a s**t one compared to ones I've seen when googling about this

Sponsored Links
No, they are all appear to be poorly built, it's common, but they all do their job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back