Removal of Chimney Breast- What now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just spent the weekend removing a small chimney breast from our bathroom. We will be eventually taking out the larger one underneath it in the kitchen

It is on an external single skin wall which now needs bringing forward about 15cm to be flush with the existing internal wall and window frame. We would like to insulate the wall but need to know about ventilation and condensation. Any tips, ideas or recommendations please?

Thanks

:confused:

Sponsored Links
So when you took the chimney down, there was nothing above?

Edit

Don't you have to contact BC before anything like this is carried out?

Sponsored Links
The chimney stack had already been removed by previous owners. There is only roofing membrane and above that roof tiles. No loft cavity, or other walls. just roof joists. We had a structural engineer come so that he could drawings for the kitchen and he talked my partner through how to remove this chimney breast, which is inside the house. He surely would of said if we needed BC?

I think BC only get involed in structural issues, as the stack has already gone and if the breast was removed correctly, I can't see why they should get involved.

Why do you want the wall insulated, are any of the others?

It is an external wall, is single skin and needs to bought in to be made level with the existing wall. Isn't it better to insulate where you can in order to minimise heat loss in this time of rising energy costs? I was thinking of some sort of insulating board. Do we need a vapour permeable membrane?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back