Removal of dado

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plaster of paris dado rail, and a number of plaster of paris frames (don't know how else to describe them), that I want to remove. Can any one recommend any hints or tips on the easiest way to do this, producing the least amount of damage to the wall ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy a pull saw, they bend more than push saws.

You can then use a metal rule to prevent the saw from digging into the plaster. After, you can sand the remainder.

A chisel/bolster and hammer will be cheaper (and much faster) but potentially more disruptive.

i would suggest you try in a discrete area hidden by furniture or curtains in the room concerned as the results might surprise or horify you
you may bring all the plaster off the wall :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. The saw technique seems to be the one to try (behind the bookcase), but is there any chance that the dado or frame is attached to the wall with pins or nails ? How is plaster of paris normally fixed to the wall ? These are not original features, and were added to our 70s house by a previous owner.

If it was done in the 70's it is hard to say if there will be nails. Otherwise there shouldn't be nails.

Unfortunately the nail-happy "demolition" saws are very rigid.

Allso perhaps: Don't forget to run a stanley knife along each edge before gently trying a wide sharp bolster, sometimes it cracks the profiles all long, tho other times it don't. Thats when I really use the bolster :LOL:

Good luck.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I've removed the first frame today, in a fraction of the time I expected, using a combination of your techniques, with very little plaster damage.

Removed a corner section with a flexible saw, and then had a go scoring the edges and leavering on the exposed end with a large screwdriver. To my delight, each side came away intact. Only another 12 to go, and all the dado rail :LOL:

large flat scraper? the kind you use to get wallpaper off?
or a putty / filler knife ( they seem to be thinner and more flexible.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back