REMOVAL OF MOSS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MOSS IS MY PET HATE

IT HAS COLONIZED MY TARMACADAM DRIVEWAY. ANY HINTS ON HOW TO REMOVE IT?

OUR BACKLAWN IS COVERED IN MOSS. I HAVE USED THE MOTOR MOWER, SET AT A VERY LOW LEVEL TO REMOVE IT. THE LAWN WAS LEFT TOTALLY BARE. AFTER A SHORT PERIOD THE GRASS REAPPEARED. HOWEVER THE FOLLOWING YEAR, THE MOSS RETURNED AS VIRILE AS EVER. HAS ANYONE ANY IDEAS ON REMOVING IT PERMANENTLY?

Sponsored Links
1) why are you asking a gardening question in the electrics?

2) why are you SHOUTING?

PATHCLEAR, will do the drive. Leave it for 4 weeks then jet wash it off.

Lawns, best done in October when the growing season dies via scarifying and copious use of a lawn moss remover chemical product.

Lawn should be bare for the winter and in early spring your need to reseed and use lawn feed with another moss remover product that integrated with it.

Maybe you should be treating the cause not the effect.

Moss is usually caused by poor drainage or lack of light. You need to change something so that conditions favour grass over moss.

Plenty on gardening sites and books but I seem to remember that top dressing to improve soil structure, digging drainage ditches filled with hard core and cutting back overhanging branches all help.

Sponsored Links
To bring it back on topic you could try electrolysis on the roots of the moss. Electrolysis seems to kill un-wanted body hair......

( well this is the electrics forum page )

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Apologies to all for being in wrong FORUM

Moss is a short daylight plant and thrives in the winter months. Its a bit late but I would rake the lawn with a fine wire tyne rake to remove the thatch that accumulates at the base of the grass and it will remove a ceratin amount of moss too.
Hire a hollow core machine from the hire shop. This will take out rows of soil cores about 12mm dia x 80ml deep. do this over the whole of the lawn.
Mix some top soil from the GC with some river sand from Builders merchant at 50/50 and spread thinly over the lawn. sweep this 'top dressing' into the holes. repeat until holes are full.

Doing this will improve the drainage below the surface.
Visit www.superspray.co.uk and look at lawn magic which is a liquid feed. Apply this through the summer. This will re enforce and add vigour to the lawn. They also have Moss magic a liquid moss killer which may also be applied.

If the above is repeated over the next two or three years then the lawn should come back really good.

I dont like to use peleted lawn treatments because if it doesnt rain soon afterwards, the grass can burn and turn brown.

Getting rid of moss in a lawn is the easy bit; preventing it from reappearing is a little trickier. So follow the usual advice about poor drainage and shady areas etc. To get rid of the moss you should apply lawn sand with a suitable lawn spreader taking care to follow the instructions. After a few days the moss will blacken and die. You can rake up the dead moss with spring tine rake and sow grass seed where there are patches. It's that easy.

Be vigilant and check for moss at regular intervals in the future. Keeping the grass healthy will help in the fight against moss and weeds - an unhealthy lawn with weak grass is a five star hotel for moss and weeds and neither will pass on such an opportunity!!

Under no circumstances should you try and remove moss with a lawn mower as you will do more hard than good.

Have fun

Stan

i have moss and weeds in my lawn i have scraped the grass with a leaf rake , weed killer , weed and feed , grass comes back thicker and healthier but so does the weeds like large dock leaves moss is all there amongst the weeds

The larger weeds like docks & dandi's should be removed mannualy, insert a long knife blade at an angle to try to cut he root as far below ground as possible. Any flat weeds dig up with a narrow trowel. Fill the holes with compost and reseed bare patches in Sept. Look to alter the conditions of the soild below [see earlier post] A good lawn takes time to produce.

I remeber a gardening joke of many years ago " An American is praising the Lawns at Windsor Castle and asks the gardener how do you get such a fine turf? Easy, he replied, prepare a good seed bed and sow a good quality grass seed. Then all you have to do is to feed and mow it regulaly and in three hundred years, your lawn could look like this!

Have the butler carefully remove it with tweezers (preferably golden ones)

Have the butler ring around estate agents to find a south-west facing garden

:LOL:

Seriously tho....

i also hate moss. i have an east facing roof pitch which moss loves to grow on. then it drops off and colonises the lawn. i am thinkin of paying someone to jetwash the roof and seal it then to tackle the lawn
but thats a roofing question...

oddly enough i dont hate it as much in the lawn as when its on the paths or the roof

Think carefully about 'sealing' roof tiles. a roof needs to breather. I know there are companies who do seal rooves but maybe have a word first with your local council ,Building Consultancy, department for so free expert advice from their architects.

With a guy up there jetwashing is liky to crack the tiles too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back