Removal of old overhead telephone lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the previous owners of my house for whatever reason had 3 separate overhead lines to the house for a various telephone points. Since we moved in 8 years ago we haven't had a landline and don't intend to get one. These redundant lines are attached to the bargeboards which need replacing. Ideally I want to get them removed completely.

I don't know whether these lines were BT or Virgin (or one of their precursor companies - Telewest etc) or someone else entirely.

What's the best way to find out who they belong to and get them removed?

Sponsored Links
I believe that you need to contact OpenReach.

I do know people that just cut the cables, stick a ladder up the pole and trim it back further so that it no one can trip or tug on it.

If there is a risk of the cables becoming detached from the deteriorating barge boards and falling then report it to Openreach

i

Sponsored Links
Not recommended.

A recent case of a DIY drop wire removal also severed the active connection to the adjacent property. It was an expensive error.

Point taken but it if you can see that your neighbour has their own connection, it might be safe to assume that the connection is not being shared.

If there is a risk of the cables becoming detached from the deteriorating barge boards and falling then report it to Openreach

i

Good call. Yeah, tell them that you need to replace the fascia/barge/soffit boards. Tell them that the previous owner/whoever had already snipped the cables that enter the property, meaning that once the timber is removed, the cable will fall into the street.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back