Removal of Pebble Dash Render - Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am newbie to the forum and hoping somebody can help point me in the right direction.

I own a circa 1900 terraced house that has a very poorly maintained pebble dash render to the rear of the property, the render was applied to all houses on my street approx 30yrs ago as part of a local housing / council initiative.

Having noticed the render is blown and hollow in parts, I am considering removing it and attempting to restore back to the original brick. The walls in question are Solid with no cavity. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to remove the render (hammer/chisel/kango)?
2. Is it wise to render a house with Solid Walls?
3. How can I best restore the original brick?
4. Does my brickwork look like it could be restored (see attached image)?
5. Is this K-Rend stuff any good?

Thanks in advance

View media item 59444 View media item 59445

Sponsored Links
Why was the render installed on the property's ? Might be that the brickwork is no good ! I would be carefull as you might not be able to restore back to original ! Also, some part may be stubborn and when you try and chisel it off might take the face of the brick off with it .

Can't really tell if brickwork can be reinstated but if render has gone you will need to take it off and evaluate then, if you can restore great, if not it will need rendering, if so I would really consider insulating the wall as this will help save money in the long run especially with rising energy costs !

K rend is a type of monocouche render (one coat in French) I have heard its good but I've only used "weber pral m" , a different manufacturer !most renderers i have spoke to have said they prefer using the weber one.

If you do insulate the wall you might have to use a different type of monocouche render that can go on to insulation board, I know weber do one, or you can use a thin coat render, either Silicone or Acrylic or if you really want brickwork showing then you can do brick effect rendering, I know Weatherby do one its called epsirend.

Hope this helps !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back