Removal of RSJ from ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to remove an RSJ from the ceiling on my lower-ground floor. It is a low ceiling that would be improved without it.

The property is a Georgian terraced house in London. The main RSJ that supports the central wall of the house runs side-to-side, but another RSJ was put in years ago running off the central beam to the back wall. Question is: if it is safe to remove it, and not a load-bearing member, can I just go ahead and take it out? Or do I need to make some kind of representation to the local planning folks? I guess I can pay for some analysis to check it is not required, but if that is the case I would just like to know if there are some regulatory-type checks I would need to undertake.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If there is a steel beam in place it must have been put there for a reason, so unless it used to support a wall that has subsequently been removed, it seems likely it is still load bearing. Is there no wall above and no floors spanning onto it?

I don't think Building Control need to be informed if you are removing a non-structural member.

Thanks Ronny - very speedy!

The RSJ looks like it is assisting in supporting the stairs, however it is underneath an internal wall. This internal wall runs from front to back of the house, but only about 1/3 of its length is supported in this way. The internal wall above the rest of the room has no RSJ in support. So it looks like it was decided that it was unecessary in one place, but necessary in another. So - quite possibly it has some kind of duty in supporting the stairs.

Again - thanks for help and advice. Good to know I probably do not need to get BC involved!

I'm not saying you don't need to get BC involved :eek: ...only if you can be absolutely certain it's redundant.

If it's at the head of the stairs then you don't want to remove it.
If there is a wall above then assume that it is also supporting this. It may be that this is a long span that requires steel but the other spans are significantly shorter and the wall has been built off floor joists. Or the wall above the beam also supports a floor, whereas the other walls don't.

I would get an SE to take a look before doing anything you end up regretting. You don't want your Georgian terrace to end up in your basement! :LOL:

Where in London are you?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it will give the phrase "property crash" a slightly different meaning

Hmm.. you've kinda answered your own question.. the beam supports an wall and possibly the stairs.. so it is load bearing and should not be removed without proper alternative supports in place..

As said get an SE in to take a look if you still feel it is removeable..

Thanks everyone. The property is in Islington - one of the thousands of mid-nineteenth century Georgian terrace buildings.

I want to take the advice of consulting an engineer: does anyone know how could I locate one that is reputable but not massively expensive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back