remove a 2W switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2w swtich that I am looking to remove.

Switch 1 has a
Yellow in L2
Blue in L1 and
2 Red in Common

Switch 2 has
Yellow in L2
Blue in L1 and
2 Red in Common

I have been advise to remove both yellow and terminate in blocks as it will no longer be used.

In switch 1 insert reds into common and blue into L1.
where switch 2 was connect reds and the blue via block to complete circuit.

Is this correct or is a spark required?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need to connect the wires removed from the un-wanted switch as if they were still connected by the switch in one of its two positions.

In one position the switch connects COM to L1 and in the other position it connects COM to L2

So if you connect the blue from L1 to the reds in COM using a terminal block you have replicated one postion of the switch. The yellow is now redundant and must be put into a second terminal block.

You need to connect the wires removed from the un-wanted switch as if they were still connected by the switch in one of its two positions.

In one position the switch connects COM to L1 and in the other position it connects COM to L2

So if you connect the blue from L1 to the reds in COM using a terminal block you have replicated one postion of the switch. The yellow is now redundant and must be put into a second terminal block.

So basically in switch that is being removed put yellow into terminal block as its redundant and connect the blue wire to the reds using a terminal block. Then replace t 2w switch with a 1 way and connect blue to L1, 2 red wires to C and again remove yellow and terminate in block as it too is redundant.

Have I got this correct? also the blacks in both boxes ere not connected to the switches but together in a terminal block within the box, is this ok?

Thanks for your help it is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is correct.

I hope you don't intend to cover the old box with the to be jointed cables and cores with a plaster finish. Hopefully you appreciate that regs won't allow that and that the junction will need to be accessible. So a blanking plate will be required.

Yes that is correct.

I hope you don't intend to cover the old box with the to be jointed cables and cores with a plaster finish. Hopefully you appreciate that regs won't allow that and that the junction will need to be accessible. So a blanking plate will be required.

No Chris both switches are 2 gang 2 way at the moment, the one with the jointed cables will be within a 1 gang 1 way switch for the bathroom and the old 2 gang 2 way switch will be changed to a 2 gang 1 way and control the light in the hall and outside light.

Quick thought just had a look in kitchen switches which are also 2 way and where in the hall the yellow in l1 went to the yellow in other l1, the kitchen swich is as follows-yellow in l1 goes to l2 and blue in l2 goes to other switch l1

Is this correct or the hall switch correct or does it matter?

thanks in advance

It doesn't matter.

It just means one of the switches will be 'upside down'

Also - you do not need to fit a one-way switch if you don't want to.
It will still work with the two-way

Reversing of L1 and L2 at one end just alters what positions the light switches are in when the light is on or off.

Eg: Both switches may be 'off', and the lights on, but if you reverse L1 and L2 at one end, the light will then be on with one switch 'on', and one switch 'off'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back