Remove base of Top Box (extra tall fridge/freezer tower unit) Howdens.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove the base of a 'top box' and top of the tower unit it sits on, so that I can place an extra tall integrated fridge/freezer in the cabinet. Is this possible? It seems common sense to me to buy a bigger fridge/freezer to make use of that fiddly space that is often left above the appliance.

Sponsored Links
You would need a larger door if its to remain integrated, and could possibly reuse the other bits removed to cover remaining gaps.

Can you post pics of the existing unit with doors etc shown open and closed

Blup

Thanks Bulp, we already have the correct height door just wondering if it is possible to cut out the top and bottom of the two units? have you done this before?

It's possible if you have the right tools and skills. My concern would be that removing the cross panels might compromise the integrity of the whole unit. Also how do you line up the unit doors with new appliance doors?

Blup

Sponsored Links
Thanks blup for your replies. What tools and skills do you refer to? I guess, a jigsaw down the side joint?

Doors aren't an issue. The supplied door covers the whole unit from top to bottom. It seems that the units are supplied in only one 'standard' size and if you want it to be taller for aesthetic purposes, you pay for the extra, 180 tall top box just screwed to the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back