remove chimney or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am doing a whole house renovation and the house is clay lump brick with brick facing. The chinmey is in the centre of the house and 4 pots on top (rayburn one side and log burner the other side). It is this clay lump with straw construction from floor to 3 foot above upstairs ceiling (ie in roof ) then brick. It splits the downstairs into two very small rooms - one you could get a table in but no room to pull chairs out to sit at it.

It has insect damage and holes and needs extensive work. It is also cracked on the outside so needs taking down 8 courses and rebuilding.So do i remove it all the way and make the rooms bigger. I know as soon as i say that everyone will say it sexpensive - but whats expensive £2K? I have no idea. Or is fixing it half the price?
If the builder takes it down to ceiling level and reroofs etc so its structurally save i can remove the rest of the chimney with a lump hammer and sweat. Or is it too structural and it has to stay?

Hope someone can help.Cheers

Sponsored Links
I had a small chimney breast taken down in my kitchen and bedroom many years ago. The footprint was only small but the space it created because there were no alcoves to consider was amazing.

If I was you I would definitely have it taken right down, especially as it is non-standard materials constructed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back