remove collar ties in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody tell me if i can remove the collar ties in my roof space i have 4 of these along the length of the roof, if not remove, can i modify them so i can walk down the centre of my loft without having to duck under the collar ties. cheers

Sponsored Links
Go on - giz a photo. In my last house I replaced this:
with this:
for one truss only. Surveyor who went over the place for our buyers thought it was fine. That was 15 years ago, mind. You could even get away with your own gas fitting back then....

Go on - giz a photo. In my last house I replaced this:
with this:
for one truss only. Surveyor who went over the place for our buyers thought it was fine. That was 15 years ago, mind. You could even get away with your own gas fitting back then....

Thanks for the suggestion, my timbers are arranged slightly different to yours i guess the same would still apply?

Sponsored Links
Hi again. Because your struts don't meet in the centre you could have completely unencumbered access. V nice.
In the version I did the uprights were tied to the rafter, strut and joist. And the collar was two 6" planks bolted either side of the rafter. We had about 10" of snow the following winter and it seemed to hold up fine. Like I said, though, I only did the middle one out of 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back