Collar Ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, need some advice on removing collar ties, we have a 1930-1950, red brick semi with a hip roof/half hip (depending on how u look at it), we have 4 collar ties at my waist height (im 5'10"), they are totally in the way, ive posted a picture to show basic's (n before anyone complains i did draw it in paint on a laptop, coz i couldn't be asked to go n boot up my super computer), we couldn't decide weather they have been here since the house was built or weather the previous owner (who thought he was a great diy'er and carpenter.... yh right) put them in.

View media item 52273

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you find collar ties on hip roofs, sometimes you don't.

No-one on here will be able to tell you that it's OK to remove them though.
Depends on a lot of factors, such as size of the rafters, purlins, whether the rafters are tied at ceiling level.

An SE might be able to give the answer you are looking for for a small fee...

thanks guys, do you think we could take one out just to create a bit of square space??

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you find collar ties on hip roofs, sometimes you don't.

No-one on here will be able to tell you that it's OK to remove them though.
Depends on a lot of factors, such as size of the rafters, purlins, whether the rafters are tied at ceiling level.

An SE might be able to give the answer you are looking for for a small fee...
See this answer..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back