Moving collar/rafter ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on moving some beam in my loft to make the space a little more useable. It lends itself to a loft conversion but is cost prohibitive at present.
It's a 1930s roof which we are having replaced due to leaks and dust. The loft has beams across every rafter 4.5m in length at a height of 1m. The top of the roof is 2.7m.
I read somewhere that collar ties van be anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 of the height meaning should be 90cm to 1.8m. if I can move to take each one off and move to the highest point it would make the space more useable.
Have I understood what I read correctly or is there something I'm missing?
I've added pictures which hopefully are useful.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20240428_164358.jpg
    IMG_20240428_164358.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240428_164402.jpg
    IMG_20240428_164402.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240428_164416.jpg
    IMG_20240428_164416.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240428_164509.jpg
    IMG_20240428_164509.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
Maybe its best to leave all your roof timbers alone - there has been previous work, possibly remedial work for whatever reason(s): dont mess with it.
It would be possible to re-build the loft & roof under the direction of a SE.
IOW's a fully engineered loft conversion. But you are already having the roof cover replaced?
FWIW: why not get a SE in for a heads up - contact them with an email attachment of the above pics.

You'll need a structural engineer to do some number crunching and give you a proposal, it matters not what you have read online or on this forum. Except this post obviously. :p

Maybe its best to leave all your roof timbers alone - there has been previous work, possibly remedial work for whatever reason(s): dont mess with it.
IOW's a fully engineered loft conversion. But you are already having the roof cover replaced?
FWIW: why not get a SE in for a heads up - contact them with an email attachment of the above pics

Sponsored Links
FWIW: why not get a SE in for a heads up - contact them with an email attachment of the above pics.
Thanks, We decide to have tiles and felt installed and also sort out gutters and facias as it was just tiles which meant it was dusty and we had a few of leaks. That's going on now and now we can see the space better had thoughts on the space inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back