Remove completely or repair?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi All

Recently removed tiles in my wc which has damaged the walls. Home was bullt in the 70’s and looks like be a plaster type material put straight onto the brick. I was planning to retile the walls although unsure whether this can be repaired or if I need it right back to the brick first?

Cheers
Stewart

Attachments

• EC4A7397-98CF-40AC-9217-A7A38B8BBCA1.jpeg
    EC4A7397-98CF-40AC-9217-A7A38B8BBCA1.jpeg
    574.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 202E7D7C-35E8-4630-A3A1-E0729ECD677C.jpeg
    202E7D7C-35E8-4630-A3A1-E0729ECD677C.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 4122B883-C4BF-48A8-8D62-83DE36CD43DE.jpeg
    4122B883-C4BF-48A8-8D62-83DE36CD43DE.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
It looks pretty solid and will be a lot of work going back to brick. I'd either patch it or put backer board over it.

Elements boards over or seal well and skim.
No need to go digging at solid surfaces.
When I say solid, some areas can come away if you go digging but that's how buildings are.

Hi All

Recently removed tiles in my wc which has damaged the walls. Home was bullt in the 70’s and looks like be a plaster type material put straight onto the brick. I was planning to retile the walls although unsure whether this can be repaired or if I need it right back to the brick first? roofers repair.

Cheers
Stewart
Hi,
The removal of tiles in your bathroom has damaged the plaster on the walls which was directly applied to the brick. To decide the next step assess the damage. If it is minor you can repair it. For extensive damage consider going back to the brick for a stable surface before retiling. Consult a professional for a tailored solution and once the wall is ready proceed with tiling. good luck...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the wall is flat(enough) and the mortar sound just patch and add tiles direct

Blup

If the wall is reasonably flat and the existing mortar is sound you can simply patch any minor imperfections and proceed to add tiles directly onto the existing surface. Ensure that the surface is clean and well-prepared for proper tile adhesion.

markhage

As above, but use a suitable sealer before tiling onto that plaster.
I use either bal apd or mapei plaster primer.
The best solution which would make tiling a breeze would be to line the all room with tiling boards (I like aquapanel).
Would also give you the opportunity to add a vapour barrier behind the boards.
However you would lose an inch space in every direction.

If the wall is okay use a sealer like Bal apd or Mapei plaster primer before tiling. An other option is to line the room with Aquapanel which simplifie tiling but reduces the room dimensions by about an inch in all directions. Consider your priorities for the project when choosing between these options.

If the wall is okay use a sealer like Bal apd or Mapei plaster primer before tiling. An other option is to line the room with Aquapanel which simplifie tiling but reduces the room dimensions by about an inch in all directions. Consider your priorities for the project when choosing between these options.
Didn't I say that or was I dreaming?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back