Remove downlighter Cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to remove the cover to replace the bulbs inside. I have tried the following:

Push and twist anti clockwise
Twist in both directions
Pulling the whole unit (definitely not the way to go)
Pushing the bulb

As you can see in the picture the bulb is loose i just need to remove the ring so it will come out! Any ideas please?

(Even tried pliers to turn it!)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1396.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1396.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 96
  • thumbnail_IMG_1395.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1395.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Definitely all you should need is to turn the inner ring one way or the other (the part with the two sticky out bits) and out it should pop.

over time they do tend to warp a bit or get jammed. Keep trying until it’s wrecked, then buy a new downlight. That’s what we do.

And how much is a new one of those?

it’s a new build property so a little disappointed that I can’t open them!

Hmm. Might have been painted over…

When you take it out of the ceiling you’ll be able to see the make and model number.

Why do you need to take it out if it’s new build? Did the lamp fail?

Sponsored Links
Philips hue for smart lighting :)

Just very annoying, they all seem to be the same… impossible to open!

Ah ok. One thing you should consider. Philips hue GU10 lamps are a little longer than standard GU10 lamps. May be worth checking one to see if if actually fits, once you have managed to open one, of course!

Thanks. I’ll keep trying to get it open. Definitely just a twist no push and twist?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back