Remove kitchen tap with rigid copper tail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to replace my kitchen tap which I believe is a rigid fitting with a new tap that has a flexible fitting. The first problem I have is trying to remove my old tap and add connections for my flexible hose fitting.

The current tap looks like this:
View media item 97034
Underneath the tap there appears to be a bolt that I could loosen.
View media item 97031
The copper pipes are soldered in place so I imagine I will need to cut them before I can remove the tap.
View media item 97033
I am hoping I can fit a Pipe Slice around each of these vertical pipes that lead to the tap.
View media item 97032
With the pipes cut and bolt removed I am hoping the taps can then be removed without any problem.

The next thing would be to add fittings to the copper pipes I just cut. What fittings do I need to allow my flexible hose to connect to the copper pipe? The new tap connectors which looks like this:
View media item 97035
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plan sounds ok. Cut the pipes and undo the bolt to remove the
C shaped washer (obviously turn the water off). Fit a compression fit isolation valve to the pipe and screw the flexi tail onto that.

Thanks, never done this before so just wanted to run my idea past someone else.
Fit a compression fit isolation valve to the pipe and screw the flexi tail onto that.
So could I buy one of these: http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homeba...-off-handle-compression-fitting---15mm-700508

Looking at the picture on the Homebase website would it be the connection on the left that fits to the copper pipe and the one on the right that fits the flexible hose? Does the connection on the right unscrew allowing me to use the screw that already attached to the flexible hose?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just one thing to remember, dont overtighten the flexi nut onto the valve, its only a rubber washer. Hand tight plus a smidge will do.

A handy trick is to flatten the top edge of the isolation valve with a file/grinding wheel. ISO valves are not designed to have the rubber washers found in the flexi tails tightened onto them as the top edge is too sharp, very easy to overtighten, bursting the washer and then it will leak. Buffing the edges delivers a flat face for the rubber washer to sit against.

Either that or pop 1 of these into the top of each valve -
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Flexible+Connectors/sd2807/Tap+Tail+Adaptors/p14081

I use a 1/2 inch male iron to copper for the flex to screw onto perfect fit.

Yeah, indeed, me too, an ISO, tail of copper then a 15mm to 1/2" iron, those adapters have a 1/2" end tho so they are perfect and saves me in copper :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back