Remove old vinyl tile from concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a go with a scraper and an old chisel and it's bl**dy hard work!

I'm not sure whether it's the tile bottom or the latex adhesive thats left behind when the rest of the tile comes up. It's black, slightly foamy/rubbery and grips like hell.

Someone said use hot water to soften it and that did work a bit but it's messy. I think I'll get my steam stripper back and see if that works and better.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
What you have is probably bitumen residue that was used to stick the old vinyl tiles down. I have a machine that removes this and they can be hired.

Other people on here have suggeted white spirit or just elbow grease as you are doing now.

What floor covering are you putting down when you have finished?

lol, believe it or not, I'm putting down more vinyl tiles. The old ones have lost their 'glaze' are and now porus and have soaked up lots of dirt and stains that won't come out. It's a shame because they are sound otherwise.

what sort of machine would I be looking at hiring?

Sponsored Links
Try heating the tiles up with a hot air gun (like the ones you use for paint stripping).

wouldn't a hot air gun make a bit of a stink?

You're not burning them off like paint, simply heating them up so the adhesive is tacky and loosens up. Have had to do it loads of times on bathroom floors

OK, I'll give it a try tomorrow, I should have a few hours spare in the afternoon, although my back is playing up from shovelling snow this morning :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back