Remove radiator without disconnecting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've recently moved into a fairly newly built flat (2009), and am wanting to paint behind the radiators.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has successfully painted behind a radiator by lifting it off its hinges, but without actually disconnecting and draining the radiator.

The radiator valves are connected to white plastic hoses which both lead into a single hole in the wall behind the radiator in the middle. The hoses feel like they have a bit of slack to them, which is why I'm wondering if it might be possible to simply lift it off its hinges whilst still connected and place it upright on the floor in front of the hinges without moving it too far away.

Has anyone done this? Am I in danger of pulling the hoses off whatever they're attached to at the other end?

Many thanks,
Dan.

Sponsored Links
Doing it as you suggest you'll be in danger of damaging the pipe work, then you'll have problems, but it can be done if your very careful but will involve closing the valves and relieving any pressure via the rad bleed vent then very slighty loosen the rad valve unions to allow you to pivot the rad and lay it on the floor (some water may leak at this point so protect you carpets), then nip the unions back up.

I personally would remove the rad completely there will be very little difference in time/effort saved.

There are rollers designed specificallly for painting behind rads, i've not used them so couldn't comment on their effectiveness.

sounds like you have 10mm plastic pipe, should lift off easily but you'll need a crate to stand it on as it won't reach the floor

Hi folks,

I've recently moved into a fairly newly built flat (2009), and am wanting to paint behind the radiators.

just use a small roller with a long handle designed for use behind radiators, much easier than messing with the rad.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they're white plastic pipes and they look to be 1cm in diameter. I have seen those rollers, but I think it's probably too tight an angle even for them because of the window sill.

What I'll do is drain and disconnect the first one properly. That'll make it easier to see how much slack there is to work with. If it's a reasonable amount, I might try the second one without disconnecting it.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Dan.

Dont ....Just empty it and take rad off the wall you make an ar5e of leaving it connected and it falls and snaps pipes in wall then your ######

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back