Remove/relocate double socket on light circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my loft I have a double gang 240v socket and a (is it?) FCU. I think this was something to do with an air filtration/recirculation unit the last owner had but removed it. The socket has been left in situ working but where its located is a bit inpractical as they are in the middle of the loft. I also note there is no fuse in the fcu however the sockets still work?
I would like to remove or possibly relocate these sockets but would like to pick your brains.
These sockets are are on the downstairs lighting circuit. This seemed a bit strange at first but there is a feed from downstairs (a "boost" switch is in the kitchen for the now missing air unit) and it would have been low load, I guess it makes sense. Can anyone explain the wiring in the attached picture? If I was to remove these sockets what would be the suggested way to restore the lighting circuit. Or if I was to relocate them to somewhere else, e.g on the wall, how would I go about wiring, with consideration to differences in wire thickness requirements (sockets on a lighting circuit etc..) and protecting the lighting circuit from a faulty appliance being plugged in? If I was to retain the sockets then this would only be or very low load applications (a wifi or tv booster perhaps) and labelled as such.
If it's too complicated I'll get a sparky but just wanted opinions.

Ta :)

Attachments

• PXL_20220702_201515885.jpg
    PXL_20220702_201515885.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
For a start, although many electricians disagree, a 13a socket on the lighting is very bad practice.

If there is no fuse in the FCU it is not supplying the socket. The wiring needs tracing. Difficult to say from the pic but I doubt removing it will stop the lighting circuit from operating.

Best to remove it and start again with a feed from the ring final. One double socket can be on a radial. More than one will need a FCU.

a 13a socket on the lighting is very bad practice.

No it isn't, although a very small number of ignorant amateurs disagree.

It is quite a good idea to label yours, for example "max load 6Amp, for aerial amplifier only" or whatever it is for.

No it isn't, although a very small number of ignorant amateurs disagree.

It is quite a good idea to label yours, for example "max load 6Amp, for aerial amplifier only" or whatever it is for.
There you are. Told you some electricians disagree with what is common sense. Think of the consequences of someone plugging a large load, maybe a vacuum cleaner, and plunging the loft into darkness. Foot through the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
who in **** hoovers their loft?
anyone with common sense would investigate a socket up there and realise what it was connected to.

For a start, although many electricians disagree, a 13a socket on the lighting is very bad practice.

If there is no fuse in the FCU it is not supplying the socket. The wiring needs tracing. Difficult to say from the pic but I doubt removing it will stop the lighting circuit from operating.

Best to remove it and start again with a feed from the ring final. One double socket can be on a radial. More than one will need a FCU.
I see winston1 has increased his level of concern from "bad practice" to "very bad practice"

Winston1 has an opinion, which even the people who write the regulations do not agree with,
Equally winston1 has increased the level of his 'bad incorrect advice' to 'very bad incorrect advice'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back