remove suite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please tell me if the bathroom suite should be removed before tiling the floor?
I have bought ceramic tiles which are about 5mm thick.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend taking the loo and basin out. You'll get a much better finish if you fit them on top of the tiles, rather than doing awkward cuts around them.

K

Yes, always best to remove w/c & wash basin; you may even have to remove the bath if your floor needs work before tiling; fit service valves to all water supplies, it makes things much easier.

Before you start tiling, if it’s a suspended timber floor it must be absolutely rigid if you want to avoid tile failure & never tile over chipboard floor. Read the Tiling Forum sticky & archive posts, it may prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. Ensure you prepare properly & use only quality trade materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, the DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for quick replies!
I will inform my OH tonight what he must do.
I bet I won't be very popular! He wanted vinyl but I wanted tiles and bought some really nice ones with sparkly bits in - really girly!!!
Thanks again x

Can you please tell me if the bathroom suite should be removed before tiling the floor?
I have bought ceramic tiles which are about 5mm thick.

depends on budget really, remove basin/toilet will cost extra and need to be fixed in again because the height difference.... 5mm plus adhesive.

or if tiler is any good then its not difficult to cut around them then apply thin silicone, much easier in my opinion but i can cut tiles to shape :D

depends on budget really, remove basin/toilet will cost extra and need to be fixed in again because the height difference.... 5mm plus adhesive. or if tiler is any good then its not difficult to cut around them then apply thin silicone, much easier in my opinion but i can cut tiles to shape :D
Paul I'm disappointed & disagree :cry: IMO that’s a total bodge & I would never, ever do that & I can cut tiles to any shape you want. :cool: ;)

For someone who knows what they are doing removing sanitary ware, even if you have to fit service valves is no big deal, an hours extra work each way, if that.

i know what your saying rich but i find an extra hour a day doing extras ends up 5/6 hours extra work per week (and i like to get home to diynot ;) ),and when you find they have no flexis to the taps and water inlet on toilet, just old rigid copper painted pipes connected and no iso valves, some customers dont even appreciate it.

just my own methods to shape the tiles if i see potential problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back