Remove tiles laid on tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought a 1930s property and have discovered that new porcelain tiles in the kitchen are actually laid over old,original tiles which look really nice. Is there any way I have a chance of removing the top tiles, and the tile adhesive use to lay them, without recking the bottom tiles?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably depends on the adhesive used. It's normally not too bad to get the top tile off starting gently with a scraper from an exposed edge (doorway?), but then you have the bottom tile covered in adhesive. If you are lucky, this will gradually scrape off after being soaked in warm soapy water.

Do you know what is under the original tiles? Concrete or wood? If its wood, you might also not want to soak the floor too badly!

Hi,

I have just bought a 1930s property and have discovered that new porcelain tiles in the kitchen are actually laid over old,original tiles which look really nice. Is there any way I have a chance of removing the top tiles, and the tile adhesive use to lay them, without recking the bottom tiles?

Thanks,

Matt
Our previous house had the same scenario in the hall. I was able to carefully lift the modern tiles and remove the tile adhesive with a mixture of soaking in water, chipping, scraping, elbow grease with a green scouring pad and brick acid. Brick acid helped loosen the tile adhesive without damaging the original tile underneath.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thanks for the advice. I will get a scraper and see how removing the top tiles goes. It is concrete under the original tiles so water should be fine. Thankfully the hall, which has the same tiles, has simple been carpeted over so less damage to those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back