1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove tiles laid on tiles

Discussion in 'Tiling' started by msmsm, 9 Mar 2020.

1. msmsm

msmsm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have just bought a 1930s property and have discovered that new porcelain tiles in the kitchen are actually laid over old,original tiles which look really nice. Is there any way I have a chance of removing the top tiles, and the tile adhesive use to lay them, without recking the bottom tiles?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited: 9 Mar 2020
  2. daggermark

daggermark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Probably depends on the adhesive used. It's normally not too bad to get the top tile off starting gently with a scraper from an exposed edge (doorway?), but then you have the bottom tile covered in adhesive. If you are lucky, this will gradually scrape off after being soaked in warm soapy water.

Do you know what is under the original tiles? Concrete or wood? If its wood, you might also not want to soak the floor too badly!

3. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our previous house had the same scenario in the hall. I was able to carefully lift the modern tiles and remove the tile adhesive with a mixture of soaking in water, chipping, scraping, elbow grease with a green scouring pad and brick acid. Brick acid helped loosen the tile adhesive without damaging the original tile underneath.

4. msmsm

msmsm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brilliant, thanks for the advice. I will get a scraper and see how removing the top tiles goes. It is concrete under the original tiles so water should be fine. Thankfully the hall, which has the same tiles, has simple been carpeted over so less damage to those.

5. Sponsored Links