Remove unwanted Radiator from central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Hope this does not sound too thick !!

I,m in the process of installing new kitchen and a totally un required radiator is in the way. I,m ok with plumbing but a bit unsure with central heating. The way I figure it (from pictures etc) I can just drain the system, cut both flow/return pipes to the said radiator and put stop end on the cut pipes and refill system. Is it really this simple or am I missing something that means I should pay out for a plumber ??

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
You have covered everything and it should be that straightforward if you have a combi system. :D If conventional system beware of air locks. Remember to set boiler pressure to M. instructions
Good luck to you mate ;)

Your system SHOULD have corrosion inhibitor in it, which you'll lose if you drain the system. You can shut all the rads first, so you keep most of the water, or freeze the pipes next to where your caps will be. The cost of the diy freezer cans (£10?) is about the same as the inhibitor and will potentially save you a lot of messing about.
Easy too - remove the rad, then when you think the pipe's frozen undo the rad valve a bit - if no water comes out you're ok - if it does just shut it and freeze a bit more. If you start with cool pipes they freeze readily.

You do need a bit of space (few inches) to get the freezer collar round though.

Thanks BACHO & Chris R for the info. Do like the sound of the freezing pipes idea, save a lot of agro !!

Regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the radiator is not required, why was it put in in the fiirst place ?
are you puting in some other form of heating ready for winter, maybe a kick space heater, I have visions of you coming into a rather cold kitchen in the winter plus heat from the other rooms will now try to compensate so the rest of the heating is now undersized !

Good point PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN. I'm removing it because it a rather small kitchen (in a rather small house) and I'm fitting a new kitchen, the rad where it is will fit ok but would not look very good.

Bearing in mind what you say about it being required and the others trying to compensate I may well look into a cover up job to make it more pleasing to the eye, unfortunately there is no other wall space for it !

Regards

mark
:D

Me again,

Might keep it might not, still undecided !

One other question on the removel front, if its the last on the loop, rather than putting stops on the cut pipes I'm assuming I would just join them in order for the flow to return ?

Regards
Mark

Don't do that. You'll just have a short circuit back to the boiler which will nick all the heat from the furthest radiators on the system.

"unfortunately there is no other wall space for it !
"

Consider a kick-space, aka plinth, heater. Myson do them, amongst others. You can run pipes behind the plinth. You would have worked that out though wouldn't you :rolleyes:

Hi,

Thanks to all for the info, all things considered think I shall look into kick space idea.

Regards
Mark

I can thoroughly recommend the Myson hydronic (links to you ch) kickspace heater. http://www.myson.co.uk/kickspace.htm
I installed a 500 model in my last kitchen, it links into the ch so no expensive electric bills, the only electric it uses is to run the fan. It's also handy in the summer as it will just circulate cool air.

Hi,

THANKS to all for info given.

With a master stroke I have solved the problem (with much sweet talking the wife).. By changing one base unit to a smaller size we can keep the rad in place !!

Regards
Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back