Remove up and over garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've got a side opening garage door coming to replace my up and over garage door and I'd like to remove the old one without maiming myself. I've spent some time googling and still not 100% sure on what to do.

If I have the door in the open position and detach the side bits, does this render the mechanism defunct ? or do I still need to release the tension in the top bar ?

Is there anyone in the Essex area who would like to have this garage door ?

thanks for your help.

Attachments

• gdoor.jpg
    gdoor.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 237
  • gdoor2.jpg
    gdoor2.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 231
Sponsored Links
Is it a torsion bar?
The door looks like a Henderson to me.
Pretty sure you have to carefully unwind the springs to remove the tension

Is it a torsion bar?
The door looks like a Henderson to me.
Pretty sure you have to carefully unwind the springs to remove the tension

Yes, its a henderson merlin mk 2. Torsion bar at the top. So, I have the door in the closed position and unwind the tension first ?

cheers.

If your not reselling it then just snip the cables, the spring has the rods going through it so will stay in place but unwind itself quickly from memory 36 turns, or you can buy a kit which includes two R clips so you can lock it off and remove the complete door and spring left in tension

Watch from 50sec

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you're doing this yourself, invest in safety gloves and a decent pair of safety goggles (not just safety glasses)

If your not reselling it then just snip the cables, the spring has the rods going through it so will stay in place but unwind itself quickly from memory 36 turns, or you can buy a kit which includes two R clips so you can lock it off and remove the complete door and spring left in tension

Watch from 50sec

thanks. Will give it a go this weekend.

If you cant find anyone who wants it stand it down by the road and it will soon disappear. Mine went in about 15 minutes, seen disappearing in the back of a tipper bed van. (y)

If you're doing this yourself, invest in safety gloves and a decent pair of safety goggles (not just safety glasses)
Actually, although people will think it's complete overkill, I'd also consider getting a face safety shield to protect the rest of your face. It's obviously good having the eyes protected, however should something spring back at you, best if your entire face is protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back