Snapped cable on garage up & over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One car garage.

Do I just get a fresh cable and wind it on to the pulley when the door is up?

I presuming the horizontal tension spring at the top of the door is separate for each side.

Sponsored Links
You will probably have to replace the cones as well.
I have done a few and its a tricky job even when you know what you are doing. I would only recommend DIY if you are pretty handy mechanically.

Find out the make of your door and order a new cone kit from ebay with tools. Its about £15-20. Also look on youtube for videos on how to do it. Bare in mind the videos do make it look very easy.
Access to the grub screws, Spooling the cable correctly and getting the tension right are the tricky bits.
Do change both cones while your at it.

Its a Wessex door.

So far I've removed a cone and inquired with an ebay seller who has a set of cones and cables which I believe will fit.

When the door is closed, the spring is wound up as the cables are pulled of the cones.
Indeed, it looks fidgety. The door will have to be in the UP position to do the job.

Thanks for posting Gazman!

Judging by your number of posts on here you must be pretty handy so give it a shot. Just watch a load of videos first.

The last one I did was my own and it took me all bl**dy day lol. Had some really tight access and all the grubs were rounded off. If I had done it as a fixed quote for someone I would have been very peed off.

Sponsored Links
I've given the matter some thought and as since its only a broken cable, I'll get a length of 2mm galvanized steel cable, a u-bolt for the side roller fixing and make the cable to suit.

On reflection, its best down with the door down. One cable is still attached so the spring is still tensioned. I'll fit the cable to the cone first then make the other end off whilst pulled tight.

I'll post how I get on.

The job is done!

2mm cable and crimps, the job took about 10 minutes and the door is working well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back