Remove wall under stairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20190803_163600.jpg 20190803_163621.jpg 20190803_175409.jpg

Hoping to get a few opinions about removing the wall under my stairs.

I've recently had RSJ calculations done and while the structural engineer was here I asked if the wall under the stairs was load bearing. He thought it may be but advised that a simple post positioned under the stairs should be sufficent support.

I've removed a small doorway that had 50mm blocks on top.It appears that plasterboard is imstalled on the underside of the stairs and there a a few gaps between the wall and the plasterboard. So I'm sure if the wall is supporting the stairs. I'm planning on building a temporary frame where I made the opening before removing the bottom section of wall. I will then build a frame at the bottom before removing the mid section of wall and framing this. Does this seem like a sensible approach and what size timber should I go for?

I'm not familiar with stair construction and was wondering if the top post(newel post?) needs support from the underside or is it normally attached to a joist at the top of the stairs. I ask because it's not where I was planning on having a support but if it required support on the underside I'll figure something out.

I've included a few pictures if it helps.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links
The newel post sometimes runs down to the ground floor and gives structural support to the stair case.

Other newels are bolted into the stair joists but don't support it, which looks like yours from the photos, but that doesn't mean the block wall can't be removed and supported as your SE says

But I am not an SE and so these are observations only.

Blup

Thanks for the input.

The newel post seems to have little to no support directly underneath and there has been no problems with the stairs after removing what I did in the picture.

So I think I will proceed as I planned and see how it goes.

Jason

So I've taken down the wall under the stairs and replaced with timber frame. No issues as yet.

I haven't quite finished the framing but once done will be using sound insulation in the stud walls and the plaster boarding over.

I'll be putting plasterboard under the stairs (to hide underside of steps) and was wondering if there are any issues putting sound insulation in the cavity under each step?

I've also spotted a few risers have split. I was planning on glueing and screwing them back together and then strengthening the riser with some plywood does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

Jason

Attachments

• 20190819_122658.jpg
    20190819_122658.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 2,893
  • 20190819_122735.jpg
    20190819_122735.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,419
Sponsored Links
are you aware that you can stack washers and dryers? it saves space.

risers are not as significant for safety as treads - but it would do no harm screwing ply to the back of any split riser.
dont allow the ply to touch the tread above it.
someone has driven in an incorrect fixing - is it a a clout nail, and its caused the split so it seems.
the other fixings look like nails on my monitor - only pilot holed screws should be used on stairs.

12mm plasterboard in two layers will give fire safety when used as a soffit below the flight.
filling with insulation will do nothing for anything.

I'm planning on using fire rated plaster board under stairs to save a bit of space and standard plasterboard elsewhere.

I'll have some rockwool sound insulation left over when done with the walls and thought I might as well put it under the steps to try and reduce noise on the stairs. I don't see how it could cause any problems but just wanted to check I'm not causing myself a problem somehow.

Thanks for the advice. Looking to try and fix any potential problems with the stairs before it's boarded up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back