Opening up under the stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could someone give me some advice on opening under my stairs and if a wall underneath my stairs is a supporting wall?

It is a 1930s house, the wall has wood and mortar in it and goes up to the top of the stairs. Does the wall support the staircase?

I would like to remove this wall so it is an open space for my computer ect.

Any advice would be helpful...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
can you post a piccie, with views of the junction where the stairs meet the first floor, in particular a view from the hallway looking up at the outside of the staircase?

if it's a straight flight then there is a chance. if it's got a turn then it's unlikely.

as with most things a lintel or pier could be retained to maintain the support whilst enabling some of the wall to be removed (it does work well sometimes - i've enlarged my kitchen doing same but needed a lintel - i actually thought i could take more of the wall out but when removing the plaster it became painfully obvious that a stair support was in the brickwork and my ambitions had to reduce slightly but still well worth the extra space i got).

the only way to find out for sure is to take the underside of the stairs off or the plaster on the wall to identify where the supports are.

but as noseall says a pic would help to get a better indication.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back