help with open stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi came across this site while looking for ideas to help with my open plan stairs . i have open plan stairs in my living room and i hate them as underneath gets very dusty and dirty no matter how open i hoover the stairs so its impossible to keep anything clean under them ,i would love a table and chairs under my stairs but with the stairs being open not practical ,is there anyway they can be closed off cheaply? as this is a council property . i was thinking about some thin wood nailed along underneath but being a useless at diy not sure if this would work ?

Sponsored Links
Your idea could work fine if professionally done, so long as there's space on the stringers (the side bits) for timber to be fixed to.
A photo or two would help!
John :)

thanks for reply i would like this done cheap as possible i havnt got a lot of money to spare :cry: so looking to do it myself or a mate who is quite handy at stuff . ive uploaded a picture on to my album on here only way i could figure to add it if u want to look [/img]

Good pic, thanks!
Your proposal is certainly possible, and whatever material you use, it needs to touch the actual steps of the stair, underside.
So - what to use? There's a choice......pine cladding (ever so 80's but dead easy to do), plywood, MDF (easy to paint etc) and so on.
You need material which won't bend or sag, so lets say 8mm stuff as a starter, and this could be held in place by bearers 20mm square that are fixed to the stringers.
I'd be inclined, with the help of your marra (friend) to get a sample of material and hold it in place, to see if its acceptable.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back