Converting open tread stairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have these open tread stairs which I'm not keen on, they seem a bit dated and "1970s". We're planning to replaster and decorate and I'm wondering what can be done with the stairs.

I like "normal" stairs with banisters and spindles and wonder if this staircase can be converted and if not whether a new staircase is easy/difficult. It's a dark hall and I assume that's why an open tread design was chosen. I don't mind having space under the stairs.

Don't mind spending some to improve them, but have no idea how much a new staircase would cost/whether it requires planning/building control etc.

I wonder if a god carpenter could convert them to look more traditional or not.

I appreciate your advice.

View media item 76720 View media item 76719

Sponsored Links
Both are possible.

Doing a joinery job on what you have might fly but i cant tell from the pics.
How wide and long are your treads?
Does the tread return go under the guard rail?
Does the tread nosing cover the next lower tread by 20mm - 30mm?

Removing what you have and fitting a new flight might be the best way to go. But it would be a shameful waste of material - even though the present stairs are not to current code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back