Converting a staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment our staircase is straight but the top 3 treads turn onto the landing, if we carry out the alterations planned we would like to have the stairs running straight.
Could we convert the original staircase ( i guess so) or would it mean a complete new staircase?

Hope this makes sense to you.

Sponsored Links
there are no pre set staircase designs across the board.

however, it is fairly typical for the straight run to be installed as one piece then the kite winders to be installed as separates, though the wall side strings may be jointed together and the winding components also jointed into the newel.

so it could be done but it may seem cobbled together and the newel would be out of place, kinda floating three parts of the way up.

thinking about it - you need a new staircase! :LOL:

don't forget spindle spacing and headroom regulations as well as the obvious rise and going reg's. ;)

Thx for the reply noseall - the newel post will be out of place indeed and i never did like the banisters plus it creeks like hell, a new staircase sounds like a fun project.

Not worth the effort trying to convert your existing staircase a standard height straight flight will only cost about £250 plus vat have a look at these guys

www.stairplan.co.uk

Sponsored Links
That is a very reasonable price for a new staircase i would of guessed at £600 - £800.
Thanks for the advice.

give stairplan a ring they are great they have a CNC machine you pretty much stick wood in one end and a staircase comes out the other. Allthey will need is your floor to floor height and the width.
Their staircases are brilliant and go together a dream.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back