Extend stairs or replace staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single flight of stairs and the top treads turn to the left.

I am remodeling my house and need a straight flight - no turn.

I spoke to a carpenter about making some new treads just to straighten out the top treads and he advised me that staircases are so cheap now it would just and quick to replace the whole staircase rather than mess about altering the existing one.

Do you agree with his advice?

(ps he didn't give a price for the work - but said either way would cost the same)

Sponsored Links
when you say the top step turns do you mean it has a landing with a last step off the landing
or do you mean it has a half winder[triangular step]
all steps should carry on at the same pitch if you take the last space
could you cover the hight by one or more steps the same lengh and the same rise you [shouldnt allter the rise or tread depth partway up a stair]

could he carry on strait with two more stepps were the going and the rise are the same as the other steps :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
I think he could , and that is what I was expecting him to do. but I get the impression this would be quite labour intensive to match it into the existing staircase , which is why he has suggested replacing the whole staircase instead , which he gives me the impression would require the same about of labour , but I would end up with a better job.

I don't have bannisters and spindles etc to worry about , just a flight of stairs.

The problem is that the new string would have to join the old string with the correct joint to prevent slipping which is a weak point and hoping the risers is the same as the rest & on top of the stair thread there should be at least a double trimmer joists. I'm afraid your carpenter is correct.

A standard off the shelf staircase for 2600mm finished floor to finished floor can be bought for as little as £100 see www.stairplan.com these guys are brilliant I use them for all my staircases speak to either rob or Lee

massona and chappers have they eased up on the regs about the
angle of the stairs last time i looked if your stair was steeper than 42%
you could only repair and not replaice to comply with regs :cry: ;)
mind you that was a few years ago

that is basically regs there is provision for replacing with a like stair if ther are no sensible alternatives but anyway whos going to know.

well to be honest the answer was be a good idea to fit your carpet
before you invite the building inspector in :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
not realy only joking ;)

big-all said:
massona and chappers have they eased up on the regs about the angle of the stairs last time i looked if your stair was steeper than 42%
The maximum pitch for stairs is still 42 degree, but the building inspector are more interested in the size of the riser/tread.

Tread should be a minimum of 220mm and riser should be between 170mm to 220mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back