Support for Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My stairs have a leg ('L' in photo) which I'd like to remove to create a more useful space under the stairs (probably paneled storage cupboards). However I don't know whether the leg is decorative or supporting. If not supporting, I presume I could just remove it. If it is supporting, could I install an RSJ from wall point 'A' to wall point 'B' (see photo) and then remove the leg? The RSJ would be high and tight against the underside of the stair structure with wedges to take up any gap.

Stairs 1.jpeg

Alternatively, what other options do I have?

Thanks,

Mark
Lincolnshire.

Sponsored Links
It looks to be structural so the RSJ (or a C24 timber joist) would be the way to go

I'm actually in the process of replacing the carpet with oak flooring, hence the boxes under the stairs. Upon taking up the carpet and underlay I found that there was a 3 mm air gap under all this 3 inch x 5 inch support post, bar a 1 x 3 inch wedge at one end. On knocking the wedge out, the 3 mm gap did not close (see photo). I then got my wife to stand half way up the stairs (she comes in handy now and then), directly above the support post, and the gap still did not close. I'm starting to think the post is there to give the hand rail and post directly above, an anchor to stop it moving.

Stairs 2.jpg

I think I'll remove the post (all bar the top 6 inches) and support the stairs with an RSJ (actually use your suggestion of a C24 timber joist). I'll then screw the 6 inch stub to the timber joist to maintain that anchoring effect for the handrail above. I see the local builders merchant do a 47 mm joist hanger and 46mm x 97 mm PSE softwood.

Sound good?

Mark

Yes. But what is the span of the joists going to be?

Sponsored Links
The distance from A to B is 1.8 metres. The dimension perpendicular to this (back wall to A) is 800 mm; so I suppose I could put in 2 joists at a 400 mm pitch, but I'm not sure 2 would be necessary.

Mark

My stairs have a leg ('L' in photo) which I'd like to remove to create a more useful space under the stairs (probably paneled storage cupboards).
Are you really going to get a better cupbaord though? What you gain from no column will be lost in height from the beam/joist.

I would suggest a cupboard where the corner is the support, which it may/may not be in a slightly different place to the current support e.g. if you want to run flush with the wall at 'A'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back