Removed eurocylinder but not able to put new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to replace the eurocylinder from my upvc door. So i removed the retaining screw but it was not budging. So removed the door handles and gave a lot of taps from a hammer and then it came out.

Now when i try to put a new one, it goes halfway and stuck. When i peep through the hole, there is no misalignment anywhere. Clear allthrough. When I hammered again along with wiggling the key...it went in another 3-4 mm. I can see that the retaining screw hole is now 4 mm away but no amount of hammering is helping it to move inside.

I suspect there may be a grub screw after reading the forums. Tonight i will try to see if there is one. I am doubtful because the existing lock came out...

But what i want to understand is how does a grub screw hold a eurolock since there is no additional hole in the cylinder other than that for the retaining screw.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
it is not normal hammering an euro cylinder.
Often you have to scroll it.
There are no other grains.
Are you sure the cilinder are the same dimensions?
The new one is perfecly aligned inside?

Hi,
it is not normal hammering an euro cylinder.
Often you have to scroll it.
There are no other grains.
Are you sure the cilinder are the same dimensions?
The new one is perfecly aligned inside?

New and old are perfectly the same size.Tried reinserting the old one, that is also not going in and gets stuck at the same point. Added few pics as well.

Attachments

• IMG-20161006-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20161006-WA0015.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG-20161006-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20161006-WA0016.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 188
On some euro locks there is a protruding nib on one side of the body of the cylinder and it is there to prevent the snapped cylinder being pulled out allowing entry by unauthorised means.
Yale tend to sell this type of cylinder , so if it is one of theirs then try putting the cylinder in from the other side of the door remembering to turn the key to 1 o' clock to allow the cam to go through the lock.

Good luck
Mike

Sponsored Links
No protruding nibs..smooth all across just like the old euro lock. Tried from front and back, both the old and the new locks, somewhere it gets stuck and refuses to go further. Visually there is no mis-alignment as seen in the pics. And i dont think there is a grub screw as well since there is no hole.

Is the next step to remove the full vertical mulitpoint lock strip ?

I would say so, it looks like the centre gearbox may be at fault.
If you are unfamiliar with what you are doing then take photos as you go then you can exchange the gearbox like for like.

Hi,
the new one seems longer. Has the same section of the old?

Can you re-insert the old cylinder?

May be you need to remove the external cover in order to shake the cylinder.

You need to use the key. Put it into the cylinder and turn it by about 15 degrees. Had you done that after removing that retaining screw when removing the original cylinder, it should have just slided out - without the need for any hammering!

Had already done all the suggested methods. Finally had to call in the locksmith and he drilled a bit so the cylinder can slide easily. Got charged 50 quid :(

Drilled where? For £50 I'd want to know, bet he just finessed the pvc a bit with the side of a drill bit

Ive just had one of these today (never come across it before) the gearbox hole for the cylinder was super tight for some Yale anti snap locks.
I had to take the handles off and tap the cylinder through with a hammer, Thought I was going to have to drill out the metal a bit for a moment or there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back