Removed radiator - how to seal pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
I'm planning to remove one of the radiators as it's pretty much useless (upstairs landing).
What's the correct way to seal the pipework? Should i blank both pipes, join them together or something else?
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Why do you think it's useless? Is it small? It may be surpriing but it's actually there for a reason, it helps with overall warm up times of the whole space. The quicker the upstairs hall heats up then the quicker the heat from downstairs will stop rising to fill that colder space, that in turn speeds up the heat up times of downstairs. So that wee rad helps the whole space to heat up quicker and more efficiently.

i have an open space plan downstairs and while in keep it relatively warm in the living room, the bedroom should stay cold as i can't sleep in the heat. due to the open-plan layout, all the heat from downstairs travels up super quick and landing is the warmest part of the house (boiler is there as well so warms the place even more). since i have 2 zone heating the landing radiator should switch on with 1st floor heating but its usually very warm from all the heat downstairs anyway and thermoregulator keeps it off. been living here for over a year now and i dont think it has switched on even ones. not to mention that the 2nd zone thermostat is located in the bedroom with a massive radiator in the ensuite which keeps it very warm as well. in all honesty I'm thinking about removing both landing radiator (due to reasons mentioned above) and main bedroom radiator due to fact that en suite radiator keeps it warm enough and i prefer bathroom to be as warm as possible to help with moisture (there is no window and gets pretty stuffy)

Sponsored Links
Of course, it's all down to personal preferences. If it suits you purpose then the system should be tailoured to suit you. If they are redundant and there will be no requirement long term then of course they can be removed.

Your en-suite should have an efficient and affective extractor if there is no window, as much to remove moisture than anything else otherwise you could be pagued with moulding longer term.

So as suggested you would cap them, as close to the main flow and return pipes as possible.

thanks guys. thats the plan.
as to the extractor fan - already been replaced with the most efficient i was able to find on the market. and it keeps going until humidity level drops down to preset level (60% in my case)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back