Removed Radiator now no hot water PLS HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

Over the weekend I removed a downstairs radiator for decorating.

I re-connected and bled the radiator yesterday with no apparent problems and the central heating seems to be working fine.
Unfortunately, i didn't count the amount of turns on the return valve when i re-opened it.

Unfortunately, I now have no hot water from the tank and it's ice cold.

I'm not sure of the exact system type in my house but its fairly old but it consists of a gas boiler, hot water tank, radiators etc. It's certainly NOT a modern combination boiler

I know this isn't much information but the system has performed faultlesly until I removed and re-fitted the rad. The heating still works!

Any help on how to get my hot water back would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you have a feed and expansion tank in the loft that tops-up the circulating radiator, then it probably isn't topping up. This often happens, and you don't realise it until you lose the water content of a radiator, e.g. after taking it off to decorate.

Have a look in the F&E and make sure it has water in it and the ballcock is working. Draw a jug of water out of the drain valve and observe the F&E tank to see if it supplies an equivalent volume of water.

edited: as you say the heating is working, so the boiler if firing up, I might be on the wrong track, but, what is the height of the hot-water cylinder compared to the height of the upstairs radiators?

JohnD said:
If you have a feed and expansion tank in the loft that tops-up the circulating radiator, then it probably isn't topping up. This often happens, and you don't realise it until you lose the water content of a radiator, e.g. after taking it off to decorate.

Have a look in the F&E and make sure it has water in it and the ballcock is working. Draw a jug of water out of the drain valve and observe the F&E tank to see if it supplies an equivalent volume of water.

I will certainly look at it. However I think it's working ok as when i was bleeding the radiator yesterday I could hear the tank being filled up in the loft. Although I have haven't seen it.

Are there any other possible causes you think it might be bearing in mind that everything was working fine before the radiator removal?

It is a downstairs rad that i removed if that helps.

If the heating's working and the hot water isn't that suggests the three-way valve isn't operating. But this should be unaffected by removing the radiator, unless a large amount of sediment or a piece of rubbish got washed down into the system.

When you look in the tank, see if there are any signs of dead mice, birds or sediment in it.

The three-way valve will probably look like a square aluminium box with an electric flex going into it, sitting on a brass valve with several large, hot pipes going into it. I've never had one of these stop working but I expect someone else will be along in a minute.

I expect that if you turn the immersion heater on, you will get hot water OK while the prob is sorted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply.

Unfortunately i'm not at home at the moment and will check all these things when i've finished work.

I did get my other half to have a quick look at the valve and it looks like its working, i.e. moving when switching the water or heating on/off

Is there anything else that i need to check when i get home tonight?

Many thanks

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back