Removeing Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long should it take to remove a radiator for a plumber, just trying to get quotes. Asked one guy think he may have had to come a small distance he just said it would b 200pounds no vat another person has said 59pound per half an hour. Its a small rad, no floor boards to lift or anything but it will need to be caped! how much should i be paying.(im in Oxford)

Sponsored Links
Hard to say, but depending on how you want it capped I would say between £60 and £120 + VAT my area.

Mikewoods, dont pay nowt :!: listen to the excellent advice you get from this forum and you will be able to DIY, any problems and they will talk you thru it cheers P M

You ought to allow an hours work. the man has got to get in his van, drive to your house, carry his tools in, do the job, write the bill, wait for you to pay him, carry his tools out to the van.

It should only take longer if your fittings are seized, or the valves don't work and he has to climb into the loft the plug the pipes, or something is leaky or broken (all of this is quite common and your expensive plumber may be pricing the risk in).

If your installation is fairly new and in good condition, paying by time spent should be better for you.

But with the same money you could buy some tools, do it yourself, and take the wife out to dinner.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guy thats a lot of help!
Would like to try and do it my self, really hate paying other people to do jobs like this and pay loads for it. Kinda worryed about filling the kitchen with water.
Again thanks alot, think i may have a go myself

Assuming you have a Feed & Expansion tank in the loft, not a Combi or unvented boiler, you will need some conical rubber Bungs, some adjustable spanners and some compression stop-ends and some plumber's jointing paste. You may need a pipe cutter or hacksaw if the old olives have to be removed because the old nuts won't fit.

As the pipes will be wet you will not be able to solder stop-ends onto your pipes.

Have a look at the water that comes out, if it is black and contains sludge and sediment, you can clean it out - this is not difficult - but you will need at least one drain-off point. Post back if this happens

If you end up draining much water out of the system (more than is held in the radiator you remove) you will need to top-up the corrosion inhibitor, but this is something you can come back to after successfully capping off your old radiator pipes. Post back if this happens.

Have a look at the first few items on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7 for more advice and information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back