Removing 1000l expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a domestic 1000L expansion vessel that has failed and needs removing. It has been drained of all water and has been isolated from the mains water.

The door frame is too narrow to remove the vessel unless we take off the architrave and frame.

Would an angle grinder be possible to cut it down into manageable pieces?

Thanks

Attachments

• F097C7A1-B918-4853-A68A-851BD3D02AD1.jpeg
    F097C7A1-B918-4853-A68A-851BD3D02AD1.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 64
  • EBF9A6C5-55CB-442D-AC5F-EB14E6CC155C.jpeg
    EBF9A6C5-55CB-442D-AC5F-EB14E6CC155C.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
It's not unknown for us joiners to put the door casing in after the plumbers and sparkies have done their bit.

Yeah sadly I think this is the case here. I’m reluctant to damage the plaster work and potentially crack the tiles as it weighs 187kg/30 stone

Just unsure whether it’s a mad idea to cut it in situ or not

If you do want to cut it to bits in situ reciprocating saw would be my weapon of choice.
Recently removed 2 - 300gall oil tanks from a cellar with one took couple of hrs cutting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. If I were to pay someone do you know what type of tradesman to approach? Thanks

Anyone who owns a recip saw? That could be a scaffolder, a demolition guy, a joiner or even a plumber

Angle grinder with cutting blades will do that easily, assuming you can rotate the vessel in the space. I would be attempting to make a vertical cut down the front face, spin it round and do likewise on the rear, then joint the two cuts up top and bottom. Steel will be around 1mm thick.

The thing about using a grinder in an enclosed space is always the fire risk

You keep an means of extinguishing it to hand.
Yes indeed, and check the site of cutting/grinding for at least one hour after you have finished work. This is something both the student who burned down the Glasgow School or Art (and his tutor) failed to take on board - and then a while later, during the first rebuild the main contractor missed the importance of this step and the building burned down again, only worse. I've tended to use a recip saw instead of a grinder in confined spaces for this reason for quite a few years - recip saws are cooler, don't shower everything with sparks and therefore start a lot less fires!

The tank doesn’t need to be replaced so it will become a good sized storage cupboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back