Removing 60s fireplace and surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're slowly renovating our 60s house and the times come to get rid of the fireplace and brick surround

What what be the best way to tackle this? And anything I should be aware of As? I'd like to do as much work as I can on my own

I obviously won't touch the gas so I'll get a gas engineer in to cap the gas. Although the pipe goes into the concrete hearth so I'm not too sure where they can cap it off? As I don't want any of it visible

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210820_062611.jpg
    20210820_062611.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210820_062559.jpg
    20210820_062559.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
Mmm. Best bet for capping the gas pipe is find where it branches from the main supply and disconnect it there.
Is there actually a chimney? The mantelpiece and surround should come off with a hammer and bolster. The projecting bit of wall-does it continue upstairs? Any joists sitting on top of it? Does it sound hollow when you tap it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back