Removing a diverter valve casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi does anyone know how to remove the casing on a 2 port diverter valve its a range make and is white. But looking at it i cannot see any screws to undo to take it off so any ideas would be great many thanks. And yes i will disconnect it from the mains power supply.

Darren

Sponsored Links
This valve is almost certainly there for your safety. Removing the head could well remove one level of safety.
Why do want to remove it?

This valve is almost certainly there for your safety. Removing the head could well remove one level of safety.
Why do want to remove it?

Has Tony Glazier changed his name to Mrgas. Its the sort of question that he would ask, assuming that the op has the mental faculties of a retarded 2 year old child!!

The op probably wants to remove the cover to check the valve's operation - dooh! I don't think he wants to remove the cover for the hell of it, because he has a slack weekend ahead of him. Also, I don't think he is removing the valve head, because in doing so will make it more aesthetically pleasing to his airing cupboard. Perhaps the colour of the valve cover clashes with his cylinder jacket???

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
No fekarrs Tony hasnt yet changed his name.
The way to check the correct operation of a valve is with a multimeter, not by removing the head.
Talking of heads, is yours still blonde?

Read his post again s-l-o-w-l-y, sunshine.

I'll help you out -

And yes i will disconnect it from the mains power supply.

So, why would removing the head 'remove one level of safety', mastermind?

Yes I have read the posting again s-l-o-w-l-y.
Disconnecting the power supply will make the system safe, but wont provide the OP with hot water. Nor will it help in diagnosing a fault with a moterised valve. This motorised valve is connected to an unvented cylinder and is wired in such a way as to provide a level of safety.
OP if you still have no hot water try posting again.
As for the fekwit fekarrs.....where is the ignore button.....oh yes, there it is.... goodbye :LOL:

What it is, you see is that if i give the diverter valve head a gentle tap it then starts to open the valve to allow the hot water through to heat up the cylinder. after about a day the water starts to cool and then we give it a gentle tap and it opens up again. What i wanted to check by taking off the head is that the wires are screwed down properly and tight as it might just be a loose connection.

Thank you both for your replies

Not very likely to be a loose connection!

Much more likely that its a tight cog or seized up motor spindle, even a tight valve spindle.

However, all those possibilities will need the head to be removed AFTER the supply has been disconnected so that the inside can ben inspected.

I always manage to see how to open them by looking at the outside. In this case a telescopic inspection mirror may be needed to look at the underside.

Tony

Thankyou Agile i have been looking around the valve and still cant see any where to open it up so i will disconnect the mains and give it a gentle pull to see if it will lift up.

Can anyone also tell me if the cold water inlet pipe to the hot water cylinder ever get warm/hot as lately when i have felt this pipe it has been on the hottish side. If you click on the image you'll get a better idea of the pipe i'm referring to.

Cheers

FFS..Just pull it off it will come off the valve body and then you will see the screws underneath to get into the motor etc. You wont blow anything up or kill anyone

The cold feed can get warm if you heat the cylinder from cold and dont use any water during this time.

The water expands upwards.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back