Removing a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. First post here. I have a couple of light switches controlling the lights in one of my rooms. One of the switches is a double dimmer, the second knob of which controls other lights. I have no more need for the dimmer switch, so I would like to replace the double dimmer with just a single dimmer for the other lights. So I will hopefully only be left with the existing switch to control the lights.

Is it possible to bypass the dimmer switch wiring so that it is always open? In the picture below you can see the two dimmer modules. The one I no longer need is on the right. The black wire goes to L1, the brown to L2, and the red to common(?) I presume.

Many thanks!
Rob

zFCdzY8.jpg

Sponsored Links
Join red to brown in a terminal block, terminate the black in a second terminal block.

The black wire should have a brown sleeve as it will be Live from the other switch that controls the light when that switch is OFF.

If possible remove the black from it's terminal in the other switch and terminate it in a terminal block prevent the black becoming Live when the light is OFF

To disconnect the switch line for the redundant dimmer switch is simple to do, isolate circuit, test circuit is dead, then remove cables from terminals and place each conductor in a separate insulated terminal.
This will leave you a permanently open switch line.

Sponsored Links
Although you can get a replacement switch, I have never tried to fit one. I am not sure if you want to just remove dimmer function, or remove the whole switch? There is a colour change and normally at one switch you would see two wires into two of the terminals. So there must be a junction box, or ceiling rose used as a junction box some where.

Could you clarify if you still require a two way function or you intend to make that function redundant.
Sorry for not being clear. To clarify, I no longer require this switch at all. In future, there will only be one switch controlling the lights, so I guess I don't need a two way function?

At the switch you are keeping, remove the black.

At the dimmer, connect the brown and the red together.

If the switch works 'upside down', move brown from L1 to L2.

Terminate all unused wires safely.

At the switch you are keeping, remove the black.

At the dimmer, connect the brown and the red together.

If the switch works 'upside down', move brown from L1 to L2.

Terminate all unused wires safely.

Absolutely spot on. Works a charm. Thanks to everyone who responded (@bernardgreen had the same basic solution). I've never had a such a great response on any forum, ever.

Last edited:
Sorry for not being clear. To clarify, I no longer require this switch at all. In future, there will only be one switch controlling the lights, so I guess I don't need a two way function?
OK was unsure exactly what you were trying to achieve, be saying leave as always open. In fact you wanted to link out the dimmer and remove the switching function at that location, which would mean closing the circuit. Sorry I misunderstood. As you will now be aware, Bernard and EFLI instructed you correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back