Removing a radiator, but has no close valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are re-decorating our hall and need to remove 2 radiators but they do not have the valves on them to shut of the water to them like my other radiators.

How do I go about removing them without water going everywhere?

Also one of the radiators has no TRV on it as it is always on full heat whenever the heating is on, does this have to be set this way?

Cheers
Rezarf

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We are re-decorating our hall and need to remove 2 radiators but they do not have the valves on them to shut of the water to them like my other radiators.

Also one of the radiators has no TRV on it as it is always on full heat whenever the heating is on, does this have to be set this way?

Cheers
Rezarf

Isolate water, drain system ensuring the rad is in the drained zone, remove rad, before refitting install locksheild valve a nd a TRV. Refit rad refill, vent, and keep fingers crossed.

OR:

Phone a local plumber plumber to avoid hours of frustration and messed up carpets. This is unless you are confident and competent at plumbing, but then you would not have asked the question.

expertgasman";p="1943143 said:
Hi,

Cheers
Rezarf

Isolate water, drain system ensuring the rad is in the drained zone, remove rad, before refitting install locksheild valve a nd a TRV. Refit rad refill, vent, and keep fingers crossed.

Thanks,

I am sure the central heating guy said something about 1 of the radiators is not to have a TRV fitted as 1 radiator must always be on full within the system, is this no the case, thought it was some kind of safety thing??

I could drain system and remove radiator but would need a plumber to fit the vales and stuff.

The carpets are not a problem because we are redecorating and everything will be removed.

Rezarf

It is a safety thing - if someone switched all the TRV's off no water can flow from and return back to the boiler. The rad without a TRV is usually the bathroom one.

Sponsored Links
It is a safety thing - if someone switched all the TRV's off no water can flow from and return back to the boiler. The rad without a TRV is usually the bathroom one.

More normally the hall, as the room stat, if fitted, temds to be there.

More normally the hall, as the room stat, if fitted, temds to be there.

So once this has been removed and and valves fitted to stop the water flow, is it safe to put the heating back on?

I ask because if I remove the radiator the water won't flow back to the boiler, or do i just ensure that the radiators in the other rooms are on to allow backflow?

Unless your system is very old I cannot imagine that two rads have been fitted without isolating valves.You sure they are not both fitted with lockshield valves?

Unless your system is very old I cannot imagine that two rads have been fitted without isolating valves.You sure they are not both fitted with lockshield valves?

yeah the radiators are all new but upgraded from back boiler to combi about 3 yrs ago but they guy who fitted them must not have bothered, he wont be back lol, will get it sorted.

what about my previous question about closing off that rad without a TRV??

OK - I will try to summarise for you - others please let me know what I've missed.

Drain down system

1. find a "drain cock" - use the one at the lowest point in the property
2. put a hose on the drain cock and feed into bucket
3. open drain cock
4. allow air to enter radiators using a "radiator key"
5. water will flow into the bucket.
6. turn off drain cock to empty bucket
7. Repeat 5 & 6 until no more water comes out
8.You'll see pressure on boiler goes to zero

Remove and Replace Radiators

1. Take radiators off
2. Put the new TRV's and radiators back on.
3. Leave 1 radiator without TRV (as mentioned).
4. Must use 15 turns of "PTFE tape" on the connection to the radiator itself, otherwise it will leak - don't overtighten. Use "Boss White" or PTFE on the other joints.

Some water may still come out of the radiators, although it will be limited if you've drained down properly.

Top up System

1. Close all radiators with the radiator key
2. Close off drain cock
3. Put some "rust inhibitor" into one of the radiators
4. Top up with water using the filling loop
5. Do not exceed 2 bar pressure on the boiler, as you do so.
6. Allow air out of radiators, one at a time, using the radiator key
7. Close off radiator when water starts to come out
8. Repat 5, 6, 7.
9. When you get close to the end, only top up to 1.5 bar
10. Turn heating on to allow water to flow to rads
11. May need to repeat 5, 6, 7 to keep pressure to 1.5 bar

If at least one of the rads does not have a TRV, then water will flow and return back to the boiler whatever you do to the others rads.

That's how I would do it anyway - but I have probably missed something along the way.

E&OE

P.S. Search on google the things I have put in quotes if you don't know what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back