Removing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my first time on this site, I hope someone can help me. I want to move a radiator from one wall to another. I am ok with the mechanics of disconnecting, soldering pipes and reconnecting etc. I am just not sure about draining systems if I have to and what happens when I turn water back on regarding air in the system etc.
I have a modern combi boiler and standard copper pipes, I have looked to see if I have a drain down valve but can't find one, can anyone out there help me?[/code]

Sponsored Links
andymac said:
Hi my first time on this site, I hope someone can help me. I want to move a radiator from one wall to another. I am ok with the mechanics of disconnecting, soldering pipes and reconnecting etc. I am just not sure about draining systems if I have to and what happens when I turn water back on regarding air in the system etc.
Do you know how to vent the radiators?

andymac said:
I have a modern combi boiler and standard copper pipes, I have looked to see if I have a drain down valve but can't find one, can anyone out there help me?
Do you mean help in locating a drain off cock?

If you don't have such a thing, which would be unusual, then you'll have to choose a rad that's over a floor covering that won't be easily ruined, and be prepared to catch the water from that rad. Start by turning off the rad valves, then after removing the rad you can attach an appropriate fitting and conduct the drain down from there.

If I were you, I'd start by buying a pair of rubber bungs for the cold feed and the vent pipe, and (at least one) radiator tap with integrated drain.

Then, when you've bunged the system and loosed the rad tap, the first lot of dirty water you can catch in a basin before you change to the new tap, and drain neatly with a hosepipe. I think those valves with drains are great, I've got them on all my downstairs rads now.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11074&ts=31182

BTW a washing machine hose has a screw-on end that fits most radiator taps and so is handy for controlled draining if you really haven't got a drain-off already. You can buy them 3 metres long.

Combi boiler-Ahem :confused: no cold feed/ vent ;)......w/m hose good idea :idea:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back