Removing a radiator

A DIYer can't learn to remove a radiator?

nonsense.

Sponsored Links
OP: Check to see f the other valves are the same. If you find one, you can use that head to close the valve. However, if the air temp falls below a set value, the valve will open, and squirt water. So,when the rad is removed, use a 1/2"M cap to screw on to the outlet as a precaution. Alternatively, take the known compatible head to a merchant, and buy another.

Merchants tend to be quite good a helping DIYers with daft problems, driving the Pro's mad:(:). It is infuriating being held up for 20 minutes waiting while a discussion over the merits of a rubber washer are discussed,followed by "I'll think about it". But, seriously, avoid the 7 - 8 am rush period.

Thanks.I know,its comes up on your profile.

I remove some posts as the staff here use them for their own advertising,replies will change but some seem a reply is the benchmark but beware.

?????????

OP: Check to see f the other valves are the same. If you find one, you can use that head to close the valve. However, if the air temp falls below a set value, the valve will open, and squirt water. So,when the rad is removed, use a 1/2"M cap to screw on to the outlet as a precaution. Alternatively, take the known compatible head to a merchant, and buy another.

Merchants tend to be quite good a helping DIYers with daft problems, driving the Pro's mad:(:). It is infuriating being held up for 20 minutes waiting while a discussion over the merits of a rubber washer are discussed,followed by "I'll think about it". But, seriously, avoid the 7 - 8 am rush period.

Thanks all... much good advice for me to get my teeth into.

I'll avoid the local Screwflux during peak hours! I'm quietly confident...

Sponsored Links
Good advice to use another from around the house, but sounds like you need a new TRV anyway.
Modern ones tend to have a '0' setting which closes the valve.
I've currently had a rad off the wall whilst decorating for the last month just closing the LV and TRV. No need to tie up the F/E ball or anything.

Good advice to use another from around the house, but sounds like you need a new TRV anyway.
Modern ones tend to have a '0' setting which closes the valve.
I've currently had a rad off the wall whilst decorating for the last month just closing the LV and TRV. No need to tie up the F/E ball or anything.

I think you will find most, if not all, open at some low temperature. Be careful about giving advise unless you are sure.

And the advice to find a matching TRV was for the purpose if identifying a new one.

I think you will find most, if not all, open at some low temperature. Be careful about giving advise unless you are sure.

And the advice to find a matching TRV was for the purpose if identifying a new one.

Yes I it varies on the model but its something like 1-5 degrees which is extremely unlikely in a house in fairness. My ~100 year old house in the depths of winter with no heating on doesn't fall below 10 degrees.

Don't rely on the other head working properly to shut the valve off. The *** things can open at night.
A trick is to put a 5p piece under the head, if it fits, then turn the head down pretty hard. You should feel it go tight. That should give you some insurance.

1/2" cap all the time, preferably with rubber washer in it. Buy half a dozen as they are always useful :)

Hi guys,

So the radiator is off (thanks!) and I have a cap for the side where the TRV has broken off but I don't have a cap for the other side because that side needs a bigger one... are these also readily available?

Attachments

• IMG_9333.JPG
    IMG_9333.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9334.JPG
    IMG_9334.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_9335.JPG
    IMG_9335.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 127
3/4" bsp is also the size of washing machine taps (which often drip when hose taken off) so useful to have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back