Removing a socket in a room that will be used as a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Sorry that this has almost certainly been asked before, but I'm not able to find an answer.

I've a double socket in a room that's being converted to a bathroom, and as such needs to be removed safely. The plan was to remove the socket, crimp the cables together, and then plasterboard over the opening of what was the socket.

The problem is that there is a spur running off the socket, and it's the spur that feeds the central heating system, and so can't be isolated. There are no realistic ways of running a new circuit other than taking the floor out of the bathroom above :(

Any advice as to how I can maintain connection between the 3 cables, and prepare the wall for use in a bathroom, would be welcome.

Thanks
:( :oops:

Sponsored Links
without looking at the new 17th regs i couldnt be sure but i believe a socket outlet is now allowed in a bathroom (certain zones to be considered though) if rcd protected. worth checking this as ive not had much time for the 17th since it came out............must book that 17th update course soon! :LOL:

anyway as for the existing setup, can you not fit a socket blanking plate (labbeled up would be nice) and connect the wires inside the existing backbox?

17th regs do allow RCD protected sockets in bathrooms so long as they are 3m away from the edge of any bath or shower.

The regs also have permitted cable zones (in line with accesories & within 150mm of corners and ceilings), so crimping and plastering over would take those cables out of those zones. Industry's idea of jointing and then using a blank plate is probably going to be the best given your circumstances.

Sponsored Links
What's on the other side of the wall? Can you site he socket on the other side?

Even if you can, you will probably still be left with the issue of removing a fitting and thus the permitted safe zone as mentioned above but just a thought anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back