Removing a storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've just moved into an apartment with a storage heater in the hallway. The make of the heater is a Heatstore HSXDA12N. I would like to remove the heater from the wall because it's not needed and possibly change the wall socket where you switch it on into a plug socket, otherwise totally remove it all and just plaster the wall.

I wanted to know if removing the heater was something i could do myself or would i need to get an expert in to come and remove it?

Also, if i did want to change the switch into a plug socket, would this be possible and would this be something i could do myself in terms of re-wiring the socket, or would an electrician need to do this? This may sound a bit daft but if i was not putting a plug socket in, could i just trim back the wires, tape the ends and plaster them into the wall?

Any help much appreciated!! thanks!

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of your electric meter setup so we can check whether you have an economy 7 meter.

If you do have E7 the feed to heater will only be live when the E7 kicks in, usually between 11pm and 6am.
This means that you cannot put a normal socket on the feed

The best thing to do is disconnect the heater and leave the connection plate on the wall to terminate the feed, you cannot trim & tape then bury, as the cables will become live at some point every day

Let us see a pic before you disconnect so we can see if there is a safe point of isolation

i agree the best thing would be to leave the connection plate on the wall and not have a plug socket, as we already have a socket on another wall. Unfortunately, i cant get to the electric meter because its in the basement of our building, i live in an apartment, and so the concierge guy would need to do it. But, if this is needed i will arrange it for you. But, here is a pic of the storage heater on the wall with the socket if this helps?

DSC00246.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is your fuseboard/consumer unit in the same place as the meter?

You should ideally have two fuseboard/consumer unit's, one for night storage and one for normal electrics.

Isolate the one for the storage heaters
You need to be certain that the circuit is dead before you remove anything.
Do not use one of those stupid neon screwdrivers. They can be quite :evil:
Get a multimeter (about £5 and you will wonder what you ever did without it!)

Once you confirm that the circuit is dead, remove the heater flex from the outlet switch and put the switch back on the wall

Job Done

:!:

Edit: Oh yeah, when your all done don't forget to put the heating back on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back