Removing a thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

It's my first post, so be nice :)
I am replacing electric heaters in a small flat. Currently all heaters are controlled centrally from a thermostat in the hallway. The new heaters I am getting need direct power to the heaters, as each heater has its own thermostat and can be controlled individually from an app.
That means I need to remove the hardwired thermostat. I've attached some pics for reference. Which wires do I need to disconnect and how do I rewire it to ensure all heaters are getting direct power?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpg
    IMG_3853.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3855.jpg
    IMG_3855.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links
I think a clearer photo of the yellow label is needed, first glance looks like you can remove the relay and link out the two brown terminals

Hey, thanks for responding. Does the attached help?

Attachments

• IMG_3855 copy.jpg
    IMG_3855 copy.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
As rocky has said you could remove the contactor and the wires to it ( two Browns one Blue and one Yellow ) and link the end two terminals ( Option 2 )

Or ( Option 1 ) leave the contactor in service and link the terminals that the thermostat leads connect to. This would mean the contactor was permanently energised.

Option 2 is the better option but I would try Option 1 first to check the new heaters work as intended when they have a permanent supply

If they do ( over a few days ) work as intended then use Option 2 and remove the contactor

remove stat.jpg

Amazing! Thank you so much. Will try this next weekend and let you know how it goes.

Hey all, thanks for this. Installed new heaters today and went with option 2 per Bernard’s note above. It worked perfectly. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back