Removing alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a house last year that has a wired alarm system fitted.

I need to permanently disable it so that I can do some building works involving removal of sensors and wiring. I do not want to set off any anti-tamper alarms.

If I switch off at the mains and just allow the backup battery to run down will this set off the siren at the box which I guess has its own backup battery?

If allowing the main battery to run down does not set off the siren will I be able to open the control box to remove its battery without the anti-tamper going off? ie is the anti-tamper wiring routed through the control box or is it a direct circuit to the siren?

Thanks

Keith

Sponsored Links
Do you have the alarm model and the codes?

Removing power will trigger the the external bell (depending on bell).

Some systems have a hold off mode so you can disconnect the sysyem without annoying your neighbours.

Hoover

its a Cooper Scantronic. The user and managers guides left by previous owner say it is the M series.

Thanks

keith

Do you seriously expect anyone to give the correct way to disable an alarm system on an open internet forum?

Suffice to say there are/should be two batts.

And it's a v. good make also.

Sponsored Links
Europlex

Yes I am. It seems a perfectly reasonable set of questions to me. The approach I am suggesting would take days if not weeks for the battery to go flat. Hardly the approach a burglar would take. I obviously would have to be in occupation for a considerable time for this approach to work.

Apart from cutting off the power to the whole house for this approach to work from outside it would be of no use to a burglar. Hardly a useful approach to gain entry.

If you do not wish to answer - fair enough.

If you do not wish to answer - fair enough.
"...... do not wish to answer", huh?"

Didn't you read my post?

I, and many others here are security, alarm, engineers/technicians, whatever you want to call us, we don't give out methods of how to disable alarm systems in an open forum. Just use your noddle and think about possible problems that could, and have risen.

So whats the problem then? The approach I suggested has already been discussed without a crimewave sweeping the country!

I think this will be my first and last posting in this website's forum.

So whats the problem then? The approach I suggested has already been discussed without a crimewave sweeping the country!

I think this will be my first and last posting in this website's forum.
Bye then.

Some, a lot, of us are SECURITY ENGINEERS (or whatever) and have scruples.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back