Replacing wired control panel and tampers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could you help me.

I am removing an old wired alarm panel (picture below) and installing a modern GSM wireless alarm (MiGuard G5 which I have already bought) but I intent to use the existing siren on the outside of the house due to it being out of reach of my tallest ladders and to save money buying a new one. (obviously there is a wired output option for the siren)

The control panel has a back up battery as does the siren, I intend to remove the fuse out of the spur that powers the alarm and will probably turn it off at the mains as well just in case the wiring is iffy, the alarm has a tamper light currently on where I knocked a sensor decorating but I disarmed it using the code. I imagine as soon as I remove the control panel another separate tamper alarm will be activate which I will disarm using the code but as soon as I disconnect the battery on the control panel it will set off the tamper in the siren box and it will go off. I believe the siren was installed where the regulation for noise pollution stipulated 20mins alarm.

I have 2 questions:

· Will connecting the battery pack inside the control panel directly to the black and red wires power cables leading to the siren deactivate the tamper in the siren?
· Is the output from my new alarm to the siren powerful enough to power a siren with strobe – its 12v <500mA

I look forward to hearing from you all, any advice or best way to do this without annoying the neighbours too much with the alarm going off would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
If the alarm is very old and so is the siren, probably the battery inside the siren is long gone...

maybe but the alarm has been maintained annually last being 2014, from the notes left batteries have been changed but they don't make reference to if they were the control panel or the siren? have you heard of connecting the battery pack inside the control panel directly to the black and red wires power cables leading to the siren or just quickly wire it to the new alarm?

I would prepare the new alarm with all configured (including the battery connected to the board) but the siren, disconnect the siren from the old panel and connect to the new one and then connect the new one to the mains.

As soon as the siren is connected to the new panel it should stop.

Sponsored Links
thanks Gim74, just nipped home on lunch break to have another look, I removed the old panel cover and it did not activate the alarm but when I partly disconnected the siren it went off, I quickly reconnected and it stopped so I will try and connect it up later and ill tell you what happens!

Where does it say you can connect an external bell box ( hard wired) ? Looks like from the manual a speaker only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back