Alarm Siren/Strobe WITHOUT Control Panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it possible to use an external siren/strobe without an alarm control panel. I was considering wiring to a 12V transformer plugged into a smart power switch and then use my home automation system to trigger the smart switch and thereby activate the siren/strobe. I'm not really concerned with any tamper functionality, would just like the siren to sound. Most UK sirens appear to have 5 connections so not sure if it's possible.

Hope that makes sense and thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You could do it that way. You would need to connect the 12v and 0v supply of the sounder to the power supply, then connect the bell and strobe trigger wires to the 0v of the power supply. Disregard the tamper return connection on the bell box and make sure that its internal battery is disconnected. Some sounders will probably not like being powered up with their trigger wires in the active state so you'll have to choose wisely. Also bear in mind that in the event of a power cut, your alarm system won't work.

Thanks for the reply. The Reson8 box I was looking at has

RTN
Hold Off+
Hold Off-
TRIG
STB

So, from PSU, connect 12V to Hold Off+ and 0V to Hold Off- and then jumper TRIG and STB to Hold Off-?

When you say some sounders won't like being powered up like this, what might possibly happen?

Thanks again for you help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back