Removing Aluminium sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will be slightly difficult as my camera is buggered! but was wondering if someone had a general idea of how to remove my aluminium sliding doors?
The reason being the sill has rotted and I need to replace it so was going to remove the sliding door and the fixed panel to make fitting a new one slightly easier.
Also do these aluminium doors have draining channels in them or is it literally sat on the sill and sealed so water runs down the glass and down the sill?

Thanks for any pointers. :D

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183882

and

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185206

cover most of what you need to know. You’ll never get as good a job as the original – not least because of the difficulty of attaching the new cill to the old uprights. You’ll have to cut the tenons off the old joints to get the old cill out. Skew screwing from the inside only is the best 'safe' fixing you can hope for. Good luck!

This is the sort of job I’ve attempted and at the end wished I’d just stripped the whole lot out and put in a new subframe. Not a cheap option these days, though, I'll admit.

cmother thanks for the info Im going to have a go tomorrow and see if I can remove the sliding door and the fixed panel without breaking them! If it comes out ok Ill purchase a new frame. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Good luck again. You don't say how big the panels are, but I wouldn't try it single handed in any case. There's a real danger of dropping the fixed panel when it comes out of the top rail 'cos there's nothing to support it but you. No joke with, say, an 8' by 4' unit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back